Sunday, October 7, 2018

Winds of Change

Pecos, NM
Greetings on this beautiful first Sunday of October!

The air smells and feels differently now, leaves are changing, birds have begun their migration, all signs that the year is winding down. Autumn is also a time my pace slows and my thoughts turn inward. It's a very spiritual and private time, one I look forward to and cherish very much. It is in that slowing down that one can think without a myriad of distractions. A time when all the happenings of the prior year are distilled into thoughts of the future. 

During this time of reflection and contemplation, I have made the decision to take a Sabbatical. I prefer the word sabbatical over break for its depth of meaning(s). Why? Because I will still be busy, maybe even more so, but with a somewhat different focus. 

Part of this Sabbatical includes taking a break from teaching which means, after December, I will no longer be offering classes at the New Braunfels Art League. It is a bittersweet decision in that I will truly miss my wonderful students, students who have now become dear friends. We have agreed to stay in touch, which makes this decision much easier.

It is also a time to take a deep dive into my own art. Visions are emerging, inspiration is everywhere and the need to do this is undeniable.

I will be writing more blog posts, which will cover art-related topics. I promise to keep most of them short, sweet and worth your while. My newsletter will be reserved more for, well, news. I also have a couple of other irons in the fire and will announce them at the appropriate time. 

Wishing you all an autumn full of color and inspiration. 

Gaye Sekula
"Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you." Henri Frederic Amiel

Click to subscribe to my newsletter. 

No comments: