Monday, July 27, 2009

A Study of Juan

Last weekend my husband and I went to a Native American Indian Market at Mission Espada. One man really caught my eye so out came the camera. I feel I was able to capture somewhat of a likeness so I am encouraged to move on to a painting. This is Juan and was done from a photo taken during the blessings ceremony. It was an extremely moving experience. How I would love to know what was going through his mind but already felt irreverently intrusive with my camera. Afterwards, we visited quite a while. He is a very intense, passionate and interesting man. I truly hope I will be able to create a painting that can capture those impressions. IF I manage to even get close, I will be posting it here.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Janet Chang said...

Gaye, I love your painting and your story. What a joy to capture a man in deep thoughts. -Janet

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Thank you so much, Janet!

Connie Schaertl said...

Good start! Looking forward to the painting.

Virginia Floyd said...

This is an interesting subject. I'll be watching to see the results. Maybe you could post some "in progress" ?

Virginia Floyd