Monday, June 23, 2008

Colorado Aspens

This painting was done over the weekend in Kaye Franklin's workshop. I must say it was the hardest painting I have ever attempted. I wanted to choose a subject that would stretch my abilities and this was the perfect choice! I stared at the photo trying to figure out where in the world to start and never, ever reached the point where I felt I had a good handle on it. I plan to do more of this type of subject until it is not so intimidating.
Thank you, Kaye, for the kick to get out of my comfort zone!
11x14, oil on canvas
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

J A Baker said...

You did a wonderful job on it! I love the feeling of the light peeking through the tree tops.

Marilyn Moore said...

I wish now that I had watched you paint this instead of spending so much time on my landscape. Beautiful. You should be very pleased.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Gaye.
Thank you for leaving a kind comment under my photo on PBase :)
I love this painting, it is very beautiful. I love birch trees and they are not easy to paint well. My mother is an artists, she makes oil paintings on canvas and watercolors.
I think this photo I made is much alike in the mood to your picture
http://www.pbase.com/jolka/image/87932109

Wishing you all the best
Jola

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I should add my mother's name is Krystyna SEKULAR :)

Jola

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Jola,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my painting. Your photo does have a similar feel. Thanks for sending the link. I spent hours looking at your site yesterday and plan to visit often. Your photos are just gorgeous!
Gaye

Unknown said...

So glad to see that you are posting again! Love the paintings, too!!

Jerome P. Peters said...

Hi Gaye,
I really like your Co. Aspens painting. I just wanted to thank you for visiting my new blog. Hope I get the technical parts all figured out. Anyway, thanks again for the nice comments. I'll check in on your work again.
Jerry Peters