Friday, July 15, 2011

Pensive


More and more I am finding myself drawn, no pun intended, to painting portraits and figures. Capturing a person's emotions on canvas, or at least trying to, is such a rewarding challenge.

I have been following Karin Jurick's blog for quite some time now and have loved her series called "Mug Shots". Another artist I have been watching for several years is Kim Roberti. Both paint quite small and yet their paintings are very dynamic. So, inspired by both, I have decided to try my hand at some of my own. Learning is the objective.

I haven't settled on which title best fits this painting. She is obviously feeling some emotion quite intensely. Naming a painting is a very important consideration. In a word or two, it tells a short story that can either create a positive or negative reaction in the viewer.

I am curious, what emotion do you think she is feeling?

6"x6", oil on linen


8 comments:

Karen Jensen said...

She looks worried to me--and a little thoughtful. I love her, at any rate! And I love Kim's work, though I haven't seen any in awhile. You've inspired me to look for her blog.

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on this one. I appreciate that very much. I'm glad to hear that you like her. Oops, I see that I forgot to mention the size. It's a 6"x6". Hopefully, I can edit ti without it going out all over again. I'm so bad!

Teresa Cowley said...

I think is a wonderful painting :) , and I see a thoughtful look on her face.

J A Baker said...

I got the feeling that she is doubtful about something. Just not sure. You did a nice job on it

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Thank you, Teresa. You make two votes for "thoughtful".

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

Thanks, Jude.

Gaye Sekula: Impressions said...

I appreciate you all taking the time to give me some feedback. THANKS!

Teresa Cowley said...

Noticed you changed the title from "envy" to "pensive"... I think that's a good change because someone who is pensive can be thinking about a wide variety of subject matter... :)